Common urine shade varies however normally ranges from clear to pale yellow. The precise hue relies on how a lot water you drink. Fluids dilute the yellow pigments in urine. So the extra you drink, the clearer your urine seems. Whenever you drink much less, the yellow shade turns into stronger.
Some meals and drugs can change the colour of urine. For instance, meals like beets, blackberries and fava beans can flip urine pink or crimson. Some drugs additionally may give urine vivid tones, comparable to orange or greenish-blue.
An uncommon urine shade additionally could be a signal of a well being downside, nevertheless. As an example, some urinary tract infections can flip urine milky white. Kidney stones, some cancers and different illnesses generally make urine look crimson as a result of blood.
Listed here are some uncommon urine colours, together with issues that may trigger them.
Pink or pink urine
Pink urine is not all the time an indication of a critical well being downside. Pink or pink urine might be brought on by:
- Blood: Well being issues that may trigger blood within the urine embrace an enlarged prostate, tumors that are not most cancers, and kidney stones and cysts. Vigorous train can also trigger blood within the urine. Blood within the urine is frequent in urinary tract infections and with kidney stones. These issues typically trigger ache. Painless bleeding may be an indication of a extra major problem, comparable to most cancers.
- Meals: Beets, blackberries and rhubarb can flip urine crimson or pink.
- Medicines: Pink or pink urine is feasible in the event you take drugs for tuberculosis, urinary tract ache or constipation.
Orange urine might be brought on by:
- Medicines: Constipation medicines can flip urine orange, as can drugs that lessens swelling and irritation, and a few chemotherapy medicines for most cancers.
- Nutritional vitamins: Some nutritional vitamins, comparable to A and B-12, can flip urine orange or yellow-orange.
- Well being issues: Orange urine could be a signal of an issue with the liver or bile duct, primarily in the event you even have light-colored stools. Dehydration can also make your urine look orange.
Blue or inexperienced urine
Blue or inexperienced urine might be brought on by:
- Dyes: Some brightly coloured meals dyes may cause inexperienced urine. Dyes used for some kidney and bladder checks can flip urine blue.
- Medicines: Some medicines for despair, ulcers and acid reflux disorder can flip urine greenish-blue. Medicines for ache, arthritis and sleep can also flip urine inexperienced.
- Well being issues: A uncommon illness referred to as familial benign hypercalcemia may cause kids to have blue urine. Urinary tract infections brought on by a sure micro organism may cause inexperienced urine.
Darkish brown or cola-colored urine
Brown urine might be brought on by:
- Meals: Consuming a number of fava beans, rhubarb or aloe may cause darkish brown urine.
- Medicines: Some medicines can darken urine, together with these used to deal with and forestall malaria, constipation, excessive ldl cholesterol and seizures. Some antibiotics and muscle relaxers can also darken urine.
- Well being issues: Some liver and kidney problems and urinary tract infections can flip urine darkish brown. So can bleeding contained in the physique, referred to as a hemorrhage. A bunch of sicknesses primarily affecting the pores and skin or the nervous system, referred to as porphyria, can also trigger brown urine.
- Excessive train: A muscle injury from excessive coaching may cause tea- or cola-colored urine. The harm can result in kidney harm.
Cloudy or murky urine
Urinary tract infections and kidney stones may cause urine to look cloudy or murky.
Remember that colours can look barely completely different to completely different individuals. As an example, what seems crimson to you would possibly look orange to another person. Speak together with your well being care group when you’ve got considerations and particularly when you’ve got painful urination or darkish orange urine, which could be a signal that your liver is not working appropriately.
2023 Mayo Clinic Information Community. Distributed by Tribune Content material Company, LLC.
The rainbow of urine colours: What’s typical, what’s not (2023, December 8)
retrieved 8 December 2023
This doc is topic to copyright. Aside from any truthful dealing for the aim of personal research or analysis, no
half could also be reproduced with out the written permission. The content material is offered for data functions solely.